By entering the competition, the author agrees to the conditions of entry.
- Entries must be the author’s original, unpublished work, must not have won a previous award or be on offer to a publisher (‘publication’ includes any paid publication online). The author further warrants that any material derived from another source is acknowledged.
- The award is open to all writers, worldwide, over the age of 18 years. Poems must be written in English (no translations). There are no stylistic or thematic constraints.
- Poems can be up to 30 lines (not including titles or subheadings). Multiple entries are permitted, but each entry must be made separately.
- Submissions must be made via the Ron Pretty Poetry Prize page on the Five Islands Press website. Poems sent by any other method will not be considered.
- Entries will be judged anonymously. Poems must not include your name or any identifying marks. Please also remove any identifying data from the properties section of your electronic file.
- Each poem must be submitted as a separate PDF or Word document via the online form. Please title each document with a consecutive number and the poem’s title. e.g. Poem 1 Ode to a Nightingale.
- The entrant’s name, email address and phone number must be listed in the submission form.
- Entry fee is $25 for the first poem and $10 for subsequent poems.
- The competition closes midnight (AEST) 22 November 2016. Late entries will not be considered.
- Five Islands Press staff, board members and editorial advisers are not eligible to enter the Ron Pretty Poetry Prize. Five Islands Press authors and volunteers may enter.
- If entrants subsequently withdraw poems, entry fees will not be refunded.
- A longlist will be announced on the website and longlisted poets notified on 21 January 2017. The shortlist will be announced on the website on 31 January 2017. First, second and third prizes will be awarded by Ron Pretty at an awards night on 3 March 2017.
- The judge’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Award winners may be required to participate in media-related events associated with the competition.
Entries close midnight (AEST) 22 November 2016.